This morning, Janelle revealed to The Big Breakfast that she invited us in to her mammogram, in an attempt to prove just how important it is to get checked and how easy it is these days to do so.
The video above is the result of that visit... and here's Janelle telling the team about it:
Of course, in speaking with the lovely people at BreastScreen WA, we found out all sorts of interesting facts.
Did you know:
- BSWA has performed over 2 million mammograms since its commencement in 1989
- BSWA has detected over 12,000 breast cancers in Western Australian women
- In the last 25 years, there has been a marked improvement in outcomes for Western Australian women such that 95% of women with screen detected breast cancers will be disease free at 5 years post diagnosis.
- We encourage women aged 50 - 74 years as the benefit from having a screening mammogram is greatest for women in this age group
- Have a mammogram every two years, once is not enough.
- Getting older is the biggest risk factor in developing breast cancer.
- Over 75% of breast cancers occur in women over 50 years of age.
- 9 out of every 10 women who develop breast cancer do not have any family history of the disease.
Making an appointment is as easy as reading the following:
- BreastScreen WA provides FREE screening mammograms to women 40 years or over with no breast symptoms, and specifically targets women aged 50 - 74 years.
- Online bookings are available on their website or phone 13 20 50 for a FREE screening mammogram appointment.
- Women in Australia have a 1 in 8 risk of developing breast cancer in their lifetime.
- BreastScreen WA has 11 permanent and 4 mobile clinics
- Early morning, evening and Saturday morning appointments are available at all permanent clinics.
- You do not need a doctor’s referral to make an appointment at BreastScreen WA.
Written by: @dantheinternut