Wednesday night August 8, every single radio station in the Southern Cross Austereo Network in WA joined forces to tackle one big issue in the WA community…. Male Depression.
Did you know that in Western Australia:
- 75% of suicides are men
- It was estimated in 2016 that averagely 283 men died from suicide
- 1 person dies every day from suicide
- From 2005 to 2014 there was a 67% increase in male suicide
The statistics are alarming.
Listen Up was an open / honest chat between Will McMahon, Heidi Anderson and Matt Dyktynski about what we need to do stop the rate of suicides rising. Guests included Dr Stephen Carbone (Beyond Blue’s Research and Evaluation Leader) and Wayne Schwass (former AFL great), who covered the issue of depression in sports and issues surrounding bullying on social media.
If you or anyone you know needs help, please see your local GP or contact any of the services below.
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
- Men’s Line Australia on 1300 789 978
- Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467