toggle menu
Live: Mix 94.5
 
Listen live

George Calombaris Charged By Police

BREAKING

George Calombaris Charged By Police

MasterChef host George Calombaris has been charged with assault after allegedly shoving a young man after the A-League grand final in Sydney.

Calombaris, 38, reacted on Sunday night when he was heckled by Sydney fans as he walked onto the sidelines at Allianz Stadium.

Sydney pipped Melbourne Victory 4-2 in a penalty shootout to win the championship after scores were locked at 1-1 after extra-time.

Calombaris, a Victory supporter, assaulted a 19-year-old man after the match, NSW Police said in a statement on Wednesday.

He's been charged with common assault and will face Downing Centre Local Court on June 29.

Footage of the incident shows a group of Sydney fans heckling Calombaris with one yelling out "pay your staff you dodgy bastard".

Calombaris was in hot water last month after it was revealed his restaurant empire MAdE Establishment underpaid 162 staff a combined total of $2.6 million.

The workers were subsequently back paid the money owed them.

The celebrity chef issued an apology on Monday stating he was disappointed he'd let the Sydney fans' heckling get to him.

"While I am not proud of my reaction to the situation, I was offended by a spectator yelling out abusive and derogatory comments about my family," he said in a statement.

"I'm truly sorry this has happened."

- AAP

;