toggle menu
Live: mix 94.5
 
Listen live

Chocolate Crisis Dodged As Cadbury Recovers From Cyber Attack

Hobart workers are sorting it out

Chocolate Crisis Dodged As Cadbury Recovers From Cyber Attack

Image: Twitter

Sweet tooths can breath a sigh of relief into their empty Dairy Milk wrappers as Cadbury expects to resume normal production by tomorrow afternoon.

Hobart's chocolate factory was hit by a nasty cyber attack on Tuesday night, after the IT networks of its parent company Mondelez International were hit in the latest global cyber attack.

State secretary of the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union John Short told the ABC limited production had since restarted at the Claremont factory, with "full" operations due to return by Friday.

"The IT people have been on to it and they've been able to clear the problem so it sounds like it's going to be great news," he said.

"They were testing to make sure the systems are sound and from the advice I've received hopefully by tomorrow afternoon it should be OK," he said.

Image: Google Maps

Mr Short said workers at the Hobart factory had already restarted a number of "peripheral" facilities including boiler rooms, adding it was great to see such swift action.

"To get it back and running after such a big attack, I think they should be commended for it," he said.

"I know some of the other companies around the world are probably not finding it as easy to overcome the problems."

;